How To Watch Netflix in Australia
How To Access Netflix From Australia
It’s a really simple process that involves only a few steps. You’ll be up and running in five minutes. They are:
- Sign up for an ExpressVPN account here – they offer a free trial so you can make sure it works
- Use the account to set your internet connection so it appears as if it’s in the USA
- Sign-up for Netflix – they also offer a free trial so you can see if it’s for you or not
- Start enjoying Netflix content on your PC, mac, PS3, Xbox 360, iPhone, iPad, Android and any number of other systems!
It really is that simple.
Here’s how you do it in greater detail
The key to this work around is the use of what is essentially a VPN, which is short for virtual private network. That name might sound techy and intimidating straight off the bat, but it is actually really simple to set-up. You can be up and running with Netflix at your place within 5 minutes! Essentially you sign-up with a VPN (as cheap as $5 per month!). You then connect to it with your computer, and the VPN makes it look as if your connection is based in the USA, which removes the Netflix location block.
The VPN service I suggest and use myself is ExpressVPN – these guys are great and I haven’t had a problem with them. They are also not essentially a VPN, but rather a DNS re-direction service. Ultimately it doesn’t matter what they’re labeled, as long as you get access to the content you want! And this service works a treat.
When you try to access the Netflix site from your normal Australian internet connection you are greeted with a landing page that advises you you’re not allowed access to the glorious content within. This is the screen you are displayed if you’re from Australia:
Once you set the ExpressVPN account up properly however you are able to trick the Netflix service into thinking you’re located in the USA. As such this bypasses the block, and you are set free into the joyous world of awesome tv shows, movies and documentaries. Once ExpressVPN is set-up correctly that once frustrating block screen shown above is replaced by this:
Not Just Any VPN Will Do
The key with this set-up is to have a stable, fast VPN. There are free VPN providers out there, but these systems are always overloaded and slow. This makes streaming the Netflix content impossible, as you need a lot of bandwidth to stream movies. It is far more advisable to pay a measly 5 dollars or so per month to have a VPN you know will work. The beauty of ExpressVPN is it’s so easy to set-up, it’s fast and it’s stable – everything you need in your solution.
Here’s the steps to take in greater detail:
1. Head over to the ExpressVPN site by clicking here. Sign up for a free account with their service. This is really simple to do and should be pretty self-explanatory! So you create your account, then if you head to their “How To Set-Up” page it explains to you how to go about setting the service up for various media players and routers. They have guides for Windows PCS and Mac computers as well. It is a very simple process of ensuring you enter their DNS servers into your internet connection, as this is how it masks your location.
2. Once you have signed up and set the service up you can use the ExpressVPN home page to test whether or not you have set the service up correctly. If so it will tell you everything is in working order. Once you have the all clear here you will be able to sign up for a Netflix account. Just head to the site at netflix.com and sign up for the free trial. One month for free? Boom! Keep in mind you should provide an American address when you sign up for the account. So whatever you like as the street name, and then make sure the State and Zip Code are right, for example Beverly Hills, California, 90210. It’s easy to find US zip codes and states with a google search.
3. That’s all there is to it. This will enable you to access Netflix on your computer. Of course the real joy is to be had by accessing it through your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. Or streaming it to your phone or iPad while you do the housework, go to the bathroom or lay in bed. This is all possible as well, no matter where you are in Australia. I’ve got guides on how to do all this and more on the site, so check them out to set-up this system on your device of choice.