How To Set-Up Netflix on Apple TV in Australia
This tutorial provides you the necessary steps to set-up Netflix on your Apple TV that uses iOS 5.1 or higher if you live in Australia. If you are living in Australia, you may very well know that Netflix is not available here. The beauty though is that you can have full access to if you have an Unblock-Us account. Make sure that you have an account on this first. I have a full tutorial on how to set that up so check that one out too.
If you’re all set and ready to set Netflix up on your Apple TV read on.
Once again, this post assumes that you already have signed up for an Unblock-Us account. If you haven’t done that yet, try doing it first. They have a free trial period so there’s nothing to lose.
1. Make sure your Apple TV is updated with the latest firmware otherwise the configuration using Unblock-Us may not work.
2. Once you have an account signed-up with Unblock-Us, turn on your Apple TV to configure it using specified Unblock-Us settings. To be able to watch Netflix in Australia, you need to use the Unblock-Us DNS servers to make Netflix think that you are based in the USA.
3. To do this, turn the unit on and navigate towards settings. Go to the general settings and scroll down onto the network settings. Click on the type of connection you have and scroll down from there to Configure DNS and change it into manual settings. You will be presented with 4 sets of numbers. Input the following Unblock-Us DNS servers:
- Preferred DNS – 188.8.131.52
- Alternate DNS – 184.108.40.206
4. After inputting the numbers, click done. Go back to the general settings, scroll down to the lowest part and choose restart. Upon confirming the restart, your Apple TV will reboot.
5. If you would like to have a US Channel app like Netflix or Hulu, change your iTunes Store location setting by navigating to settings and scrolling down to iTunes Store and selecting your location as United States. Restart your Apple TV again and once it has rebooted, the Hulu app will show on the main screen.
- Reboot Apple TV.
- Using your computer, go to http://www.unblock-us.com.
- Login to your account.
- The Unblock-Us website will now check your status to see if everything is ready by checking your account and if your DNS is setup correctly.
- If your internet address has changed, a dialog box will tell you. Click on the ‘click here to activate your new internet address’ to help our service identify who you are. Additionally, the dialog box will also inform you of any unpaid invoice or account termination.
- It is important to do the additional steps because if you don’t, it may mean failure to access Unblock-Us service.
Once you have finished setting up your Unblock-Us account on your Apple TV, it’s time to open the Netflix app and login using your registered Neflix account. Once you’ve accessed your account, you can begin enjoying the services brought to you by Netflix.
That’s all there is to it. Once you have everything configured, you can now watch Netflix in Australia using your Apple TV device.